The old traditions are not only for the museum. They can also attain a great show like the vinyl record do in our house. But a problem commonly arises among people, the turntable users, usually get confused with the adjustment tools.
For that, we have tried to bring up those tools in a list. Check them and learn according to your need. So you can buy the best turntable for yourself.
Full List of Turntable Adjustment Tools
Well, here is a smart list of Turntable Adjustment Tools. Hope this list will help you to know more about turntable maintenance and other ways.
Stylus Pressure Gauge
First thing first, what is a stylus pressure gauge?
It is a tracking system. Here the weight limit can be measured perfectly.
Now the question of what weight you have to measure and why?
After setting a new cartridge, a common problem arises always. That is, how much pressure the needle should apply on the record? Because perfect melody depends on this pressure and audiophile like us obviously won’t like harsh sound. There is no fixed load for a turntable. You have to measure the exact downward force with the stylus pressure gauge.
How to Use a Stylus Pressure Gauge
Let’s see the full process simply step by step.
- At first check your stylus with a little weight. Anyway, the percentage of error from 0.001% to 0.002% is normal.
- Then place the gauge on the turntable surface. Turn the anti-skate dial on zero and lift up your tonearm.
- Set the needle on the exact black dot of the stylus.
- Gently lower the tonearm.
- Check the counterweight dial and stylus pressure gauge value.
- If they turn out same, congrats! New weight track has been completed.
A simple handy tool that does works on behalf of your thumb and index finger. If you need to hold something very tiny and small diameter, this simple tool will bless your effort. Its two-part joined at one end and you have to hold that point with your index and thumb fingers. So, it seems very easy to use and it’s also very cheap.
A Pair of Tweezer: Where to Use?
The question is on the turntable where you have to use a tweezer? Let’s find out the answer-
In the turntable, there is some wire connection in the cartridge. When you will replace the turntable cartridge, you should have to disconnect the connection of the wires.
The wire connection is too much sense in the cartridge. You should use the tweezer to open those wire. Using hand can damage the wire. Also while affixing the wire, you should use the tweezer.
The most important factor of the turntable is whether stylus has been correctly aligned or not. Otherwise, your turntable won’t play the record spontaneously.
So, for that, you have to obviously use an alignment protector or alignment gauge. It is a paper and there are many horizontal and vertical line. You have to set the cartridge parallel with the line. So, how to do this? Let’s see!
- Set the paper on the center spindle.
- Pull up the tonearm and put off the stylus guard securely.
- Loosen the screw on the cartridge head.
- In the grid, there will be a dark mark. Following the instructions, you have to try to drop the needle directly on that spot.
- After that, you have to check from which line the stylus is making the square.
- You will find another dot mark on the protector. You have to follow the same instruction for the second one also like the first one.
- After making a good position, you can now tight the screw.
Needle Gauge or Overhang Gauge
It is also an alignment correcting tool. For the S-shaped tonearm, this tool is needed. On the S-shaped tonearm, the stylus will be centered in the headshell when it will be perfectly aligned. So, to check this, you have to use a simple tool named overhang gauge. Let’s see how to use this-
- At first, remove the headshell.
- Set the cartridge on the tool securely.
- Make the needle line up with the end of the overhang gauge.
- Make the cartridge parallel with the shell head.
- Then again affix the cartridge with the headshell of the turntable.
There are some also simple tools that you will need to adjust any turntable.
- Set of a screwdriver
- Needle nose pliers
- A magnify glass
Quick Tips : Effective When Adjusting A Turntable
- Always connect the wires with very cautiously. Whatever you use, tweezer or hand don’t lose your focus.
- After setting the exact load, don’t forget to set your anti-skate dial on that same measure from zero.
- Never set your turntable on such space where vibrant/vibration creates. Try to keep on such a sturdy surface.
- If you face any trouble while installing the wire, use a needle nose pliers to squeeze back the wires into the pin.
Therefore, these basic tools are must for a perfect adjustment on your turntable. The whole set of a brief explanation of these tools is also here for you. Read them properly and sum up them while adjusting the turntable.