LED Grow Lights Vs. HPS Grow Lights: Introduction
LED grow lights and HPS are both types of grow lights, the artificial source of light and a substitute of sunlight for the indoor growth of plants or for supplementing the daylight by providing light spectrum somewhat same as sunlight and enabling the process of photosynthesis. These can be used in indoor hydroponics and aquatic plants, plant propagation, indoor gardening, horticulture, and food production. While, currently, grow lights are mostly put to use for industrial purposes, they are eventually being adapted and are gaining popularity at a household level as well. Each passing day, grow lights are becoming more accepted as the future of indoor growing.
LED Grow lights Vs. HPS: Review & Details
Before heading on to comparing both, it is important to know a bit more about Best LED grow light and HPS grow lights.
LED Grow Lights:
LED grow lights are available in distinct color variations based on the use it is intended for. Though LED grows lights were conventionally more expensive in comparison to its alternatives, even the costing is being reduced over time, making it a relatively more preferable alternative when compared to High-Pressure Sodium grow lights and others. There is a tonne of positive aspects that LED grow lights have to offer, as discussed in the following sections.
The benefits of LED grow lights are easily detectable- lower power bills and healthier yield of plants with better scent or taste being the foremost advantages.
Moreover, with LED grow lights, the scorching hot grow bulbs can be cut off. There are a lot of growers emphasizing on LED grow lights being able to keep bacteria and pests away. In some cases, LED grow lights are shown to be able to potentially impact the nutritional values, taste as well as the level of disease resistance in the plants being grown.
Further, LED grow lights can be plugged into your normal electric sockets and wouldn’t need a separate ballast.
HPS Grow Light:
Coming with a durability of 10000 hours, HPS or High-Pressure Sodium grow lights emit red and yellow visible light and some tiny proportions of other lights.
A problem with most of the High-Pressure Sodium grow lights is that they offer below average CRI or color rendering index. Therefore, HPS’ yellowish light could end up making the plant’s health monitoring indoors somewhat difficult to handle. These are, thus, used to supplement the natural light for the best results.
Another issue with HPS grow lights is that they may end up attracting some insects or pests since they cause distinctive infrared/optical signatures.
Why Choose LED Grow Lights?
- Energy Efficiency: LED grow lights are winners when it comes to energy efficiency. If you are after keeping a check on your electricity bills, it will be a great idea for you to opt for LED grow lights over High-Pressure Sodium grow lights or any other grow light alternative.
- Yield: Days are gone when LED grow lights were not able to produce the yield that competes the yield produced by these high-pressure counterparts that are HPS grow lights. Today, LED grow lights are successfully able to compete for the proven High pressure alternatives; in fact, it is able to produce a fuller yield.
- Plant health and quality: Several studies shows the success of LED grow lights in producing a healthier yield.
- Eco friendly: LED grow lights do not use lead, mercury, and do not contain gas or filament. Additionally, there’s no worry of failure prone parts or glasses. Certainly, LED grow lights are relatively much less harmful to the environment!
- Longevity: LED lights definitely can be counted on for its longevity. LED source’ durability of 50000 to 100000 hours stands in sharp contrast to HPS’ mere 10000 hours durability.
- Relatively cooler and convenient: It is one of the most important features that sell LED grow lights and give them an edge in grow light market. LED grow lights’ in-built fans and the cooling system lets them operate in far too lower temperatures when put against its competitions, which include HPS grow lights, which produces way more heat. While a fair level of heat output can be used up by the plant- in fact, they need some level of warmth to grow- plants will not be able to use up a whole extra lot of heat.
- Tuning: This is yet another important aspect of LED grown light is their ability to be tuned for emission of the light spectrum that can meet the growth requirements of the plants at the best. Now a days, LEDs are peaked with Blue and Red colours that are the preferred by plants for maximising their growth and development.
- Colour alternatives: It is understandable that red or blue light in the household may give the place a creepy look- they are suitable for industrial purposes. However, for everyone’s relief, LED lights are available in white light for household uses.
LED grow lights Vs. HPS: Conclusion
Summing up, we can say that in the battle of LED Grow lights vs. HPS grow lights, we consider LED grow lights the winner. Considering all the advantages and edge that LED grow lights have got, they are surely an amazing alternative for substituting the energy intensive Metal Halide Bulbs and HPS. LED sources outperform HPS in the context of light intensity. LED grow lights can be a great option given their energy efficiency, the ‘tuned-in’ spectrums of lights which can be set to best meet the purpose for which it is used. They not only would save some coins in your pocket in long run, but are also positive from the eco-friendliness point of view as well. Above all, it is far durable. All these benefits makes LED grow lights work the extra cost that is payable in case of LED over HPS and other grow lights. As a baseline, what matters here the most if that the light you choose must be able to produce enough of a harvest efficiently.Related Reviews